What happened to the Mallet Chemistry Library?
The Mallet Chemistry Library closed at the end of the 2017 spring semester and will remain closed for the duration of the Welch Hall 1978 wing renovation project. Please continue to read for additional information about the Mallet Chemistry Library and collections.
Why did the Chemistry Library have to close?
- While the library's entry is in the 1929 wing, the mechanical and electrical systems inside the library are part of the 1978 expansion and were shut off in late summer 2017. Temporary power and HVAC are not feasible for a project of this duration, and it is not possible to remain open for business or store the print materials in that space due to hazards such as mold, heat, dust, and ongoing construction work.
Where can I ask chemistry related questions and get help?
Where are the reserves textbooks?
Where are the rest of the books?
- The books (monographs and reference materials) are currently in temporary space on the 6th floor of the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL, sections 6AA and 6BB), where they are available for direct use.
- The print journals have been mostly moved to remote storage sites such as the UT Libraries Library Storage Facility on the Pickle Research Campus and the Joint Library Facility in Bryan Texas. A small number of titles have been moved to the Life Science Library in the Main building. Please check the library catalog for the location of a journal.
May I request scans of articles from the journals and chapters from the books?
- As with all UT Libraries' collections you may request scans of articles and chapters by using the Get A Scan service. As a reminder, about half of the printed journal content formerly housed in the Mallet Chemistry Library is currently available to us online.
May I request to books from the chemistry collection be sent to another library for check out?
- All users may use our Pick It Up service via the Library Catalog to request paging and delivery of any regularly circulating UT Library books to another campus library. The nearest checkout desks to Welch Hall are in the (MAI 220) and the PMA Library (RLM 4.200). Turnaround is usually three to five business days. You may also go to PCL to get a chemistry book yourself if you need it immediately.
Where may I return Chemistry Library materials?
Where can I access computers and software like ChemDraw?
- EID-login workstations are available in other campus libraries. However, they don't have chemistry-specific software. Consult with your instructors for assistance. There are no open computer labs in Welch Hall.